Sunday 24 February 2013

The city that stole my heart...

After Austria we were to head to my favourite place in Europe so far, Prague. Whilst Mark and I had visited in August, I was so excited to show off my little slice of Heaven to our little travelling party. I am not sure what it is about this city, but it definitely has a hold over my heart. Sitting here writing about it and knowing that Mark will be visiting in 2 days it gut wrenching.

Before I give you a step by step account of our time in the city, I must explain our journey from Salzburg to Pargue. They are not exactly in close proximity and a train was going to take quite a long time. Shelley did some investigating and found that there was a service that could drive us to Prague, for the same price as a train, in half the time. Sweet! So we hopped in and had a very nice young driver who seemed friendly enough. As it started to get dark, I dozed off as a highway in the dark does not make for stimulating scenery. I happened to open my eyes and I immediately felt my heart pounding inside my chest. No longer were we on the highway, but down some country road in the middle of nowhere. I immediately, started to curse my love of Criminal Minds because at this stage, I believed that we were being driven to an out of the way torture chamber and we were all going to die a horrible and gruesome death! I was plotting where I was going to run to, and who I was going to sacrifice.. Even the scenario of them coming back and finding me after I escaped was running through my mind.

Apparently we were heading to his bosses house to change drivers. OH COME ON!!! This is a freaking horror movie writers dream! Just as we were close to the house, our lovely young driver proceeded to point out a castle and mentioned that it was the location for the movie Hostel!!! By this stage, I was sure I was going to pass out. I honestly do not think that I have ever been so scared in my life. Needless to say we weren't locked in a chamber and tortured, there was a driver swap (who was nowhere near as nice) and we made it to Prague in one piece. I still shiver just thinking about that ride.

So Prague! My baby, my beauty. Like I said, I can't explain my love for this city, but it is there.

Anybody who looks at my Facebook page, will see my love for the John Lennon Wall. This wall was started as a shrine to Lennon after his assassination by young Czechs who were speaking out against the Soviet Regime that occupied the country. They would graffiti the wall with symbols of peace and Beatles lyrics. The wall was painted over a number of times, however it never lasted long.Today the wall stands to represent peace and love.

I love walking over the Charles Bridge from the Prague Castle to the Old Town Square. The Astronomical Clock in the Old Town Square is a site to behold and we decided to climb up the top to see the city from above. What a dumb idea! I don't know if it was because I had been sitting on chair lifts for the last two weeks or because I went on a bobsled, but I completely forgot about my paralysing fear of heights. Well that came flooding back as soon as I took one step onto that balcony. Why I didn't stay inside I do not know? I had a great view behind glass. But no, I made my way around the entire thing, albeit very shaky and I did not look at all. As soon as I walked in and saw Shelley I cried (again). Yep - I'm still afraid of heights!

The other great thing about this city, is how cheap everything is. Good food and drink costs next to nothing! Needless to say, we made the most of that! And no trip to Prague is complete without a trip to our favourite nightclub - Double Trouble. It was a little quieter than last time, and there was no dancing on the bar or clothes swapping.... But there may have been someone who engaged in a little pole dancing......

I could seriously go on and on about Prague, and if anyone wants to know more please ask!!!

It was at the end of our stay in Prague that we parted ways with our little travelling buddies. Mark and I were heading back to London to travel to Edunburgh for New Years, and Tim, Shelley, Loz and Johnny were to head to Berlin... after a sad little goodbye (we were going to see them in 4 days) we headed off to the airport for our next adventure!!


















1 comment:

  1. Great post and pics Tez! Must put it on my "to visit" list!

    ReplyDelete